Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Who supervises these people?

Having not received a formal offer of employment in the mail, I finally wrote the recruiter and asked if one was forthcoming. She did not respond. I found out that a colleague had also asked, and had been told, bluntly, "No." When we asked our VP (who's interim director until she hires my department a new fearless leader) about this, she got right on the phone and instructed Recruiting to send us our offer letters. Apparently, Recruiting thought what we were going through was a transfer. No... a transfer is when an employee is moved from one existing job into another existing job. In our case, our jobs were eliminated and we went through a recruiting process and a very few of us managed to snag different (purportedly, at least) jobs. My offer came via telephone, and I had two days to accept or decline via email. Anyway, so today I got an offer letter, by email. Not as an attachment on letterhead, but as an email (and it had the wrong effective date of my new position). So I responded and asked if the email was an electronic copy of the letter being sent to my mailing address. And the recruiter responded "No, just print and sign. :)" Perhaps I'm making too fine a dice of this whole process, but I'd really like some formal, signed evidence of my offer. On company letterhead. With the correct start date, and without the emoticon. I wouldn't be such a stickler, except that HR has been making insensitive and just plain idiotic mistakes ever since this process started (they sent out job description packages that were full of errors; later they called me with an offer but couldn't name the position they were offering me), and I just want them to do something right for a damned change.

No comments: