Friday, April 23, 2010

The place between

I am about to stride forth into my new position -- one my clients are expressing relief and happiness I have. And at the same time, I am looking ceaselessly for employment elsewhere within the company, so I can salvage my resume at least a bit. It would be hard to credibly explain to a future employer why my resume shows a step back in my department. Nobody is going to swallow the "my position was eliminated" line, no matter the truth of it. The best route for me is to find something else as quickly as possible, so I won't have to show this position on my resume. The hitch is that I am very attached to my remaining colleague, I'm competitive about making further gains in what has been a very challenging service area (gains nobody thought anyone from my department could pull off, and which I'm starting to get credit for). And there's no guarantee any new position I land will be any less stressful than the one I already have. I wish I had a spare pile of money around so I could just equip a space and start churning out artisan chocolates and just chuck this whole corporate life. If the economy were a bit better, I'd consider it. But it's no time to be depending on a 1-person start-up to pay for itself, pay off a huge business loan, and also keep filling the savings account. I feel stuck in a place between vantage points, a valley full of brush to hack through before I can get to a hilltop, rest a moment, and see whether or not I've made good progress.

No comments: