Saturday, May 05, 2007

Grief 2.0

Because I don't like writing things twice, here's an excerpt of an email I sent my mother's sister, who'd written to ask how I was doing:

"I'm OK. Pretty down, actually, and so (I've noticed) is Frank. We sprinkled Mom's and Dad's ashes out in the channel this morning from a catameran called Double Dolphin. I sang part of the Greek Orthodox memorial prayer, and John said a really moving poem he wrote. Before we left, Frank and I picked flower petals from the garden, and we all threw handfuls of them onto the swell as we let the ashes go. It made a really beautiful sight on the water--a yellow and pink and purple and blue floating trail."

I spent the rest of the day in a horrible funk. But I worked for a while, and then I went and got my aunt from her hotel and we went down to a beachside restaurant and drank wine and watched the tide come in and the sun go down and weary families come in from the sand. My aunt said I haven't begun grieving. She has her opinions. I didn't bother to correct her; I didn't have the energy. I know I did so much crying while my mom was declining that I have few tears left now. I suspect most people who meet me on the street can't discern that anything is wrong.

But while I'm not visibly grieving, I'm finding I'm easily stressed, I'm sensitive to noise or too much stimulus of any kind. I feel as though the bones of my spirit have been cored free of marrow and I'm waiting for an infusion of new emotions. In the meantime, I may go through my days looking and acting as though nothing is wrong, or as though I'm mildly stressed or fatigued, or, at the worst, short-tempered. I may engage in deep-thought discussion, I may go to museums and admire views and laugh at jokes and have dinner with friends. But inside I'm carrying a deep hollowness, and the scary thing is that I don't know when it will fill back in. Maybe the filling-in is accomplished day by day, with each new experience. Or perhaps one day I'll wake up and the empty space will be gone. Part of me is afraid to show this part of me; that if I walk through life visibly wounded I'll somehow end up left all alone. But I have a hunch that part of healing is letting my loved ones in, and so I take up my courage and write.

This morning as the sun rose I took the plastic box that held the bag of my mother's ashes, as well as the empty bag, out to the garden. Fine, light dust clung to the insides of these things, and so I couldn't just discard them. I set them down on the brick pathway my mom and brother once worked hard to set in, turned on the pale-green hose and rinsed each article three times in the cool stream, emptying the water and dust into the big citrus tree pots and over the bright orange nasturtiums and pale pink alstromeria. Only then could I consider the box and the bags as just those things, things that had served their purpose and could be thrown away.

1 comment:

Jeani said...

Grief is realy hard to explain. You have a gift with your words. Time does seem to help but I still miss my Mom. I see her in my dreams quite often though. They are so real it seems like I really did see her. It seems to help.
Take it easy. Rome was not built in one day. I took my time after my Mom died because I was the sibling that did the bulk of the house, legal, sorting etc.
My thoughts are with you and your family. Frank too!!!