Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Away with the current and the tide

Tomorrow at 10, we'll depart the Santa Barbara marina on a boat called Condor and chug 20 minutes out into the channel. There we will scatter my mother's ashes and let the wind and current take them. I picked up the ashes today. They are in a plastic box that could be mistaken for a container for better-quality shoes. They are very heavy. Frank asked that we collect flower petals from each part of our front and back yard, and scatter them with the ashes. He said that would be "most appropriate." So I'll wake him up tomorrow around 8, and we'll go out before the dew has dried and fill some bags with fragrant rose and lavender. My Aunt Rose, my dad's sister and a good friend of my mother's, asked if we could say a prayer. She's Greek Orthodox, so I know she means the memorial prayer that the priest sings at a person's funeral and at certain anniversaries of their death. It's the only prayer she'd know and it's touching that she's want it said, even though my mother was not Orthodox. I'm not a priest, but I know how to sing the haunting and beautiful memorial. It begins: Evlogitos, ei Kyrie, didaxon me ta dikaiomata sou. I'll say an abbreviated version, because I am the only Greek Orthodox in my immediate family, and my brothers and sisters would probably get impatient with the full-length version.

Even though I'm fairly recently baptized in the Orthodox faith (5 years ago or so now), I find it very difficult that I will not be able to have a 40-day memorial for my mother in the church. I'll have to sing it myself, somewhere privately, in front of a candle to remember her by. Yet even as I write these words, I find them strange. I was non-religious for most of my life (and my mom was for all of her life), and now here I am troubled that I cannot ask my priest to sing my mother's memorial.

Life is a strange and beautiful thing.

1 comment:

Ben Arthur said...

May your mother's memory be eternal! I'm curious, though, how did you end up Orthodox? I myself am the only one in my family who is Orthodox, but I consider myself fairly odd, so I am perplexed as to why people change spiritual beliefs and Churches and such. Make sense? Anyways, are you ethnically Greek?