Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Blinders off

I've had a strange urge these last few days to undergo "a rigid search," as character Alex put it in the book and movie "Everything is Illuminated." Grief has a way of putting soft and sentimental shades over my eyes, preventing me from seeing things as I did in the past. I have a strong sense of duty to examine my memories of my mother and me, and remember everything--not just the good things, but every aspect of my relationship with her--so I can retain a whole and true image of her and her impact on my life. And so, slowly, I've begun turning pebbles over and scrutinizing what lies beneath them. I did this literally as a child, when all the world was a museum. After a rain, I'd go out and roll logs back and tip up wide stones. Underneath I'd find pearly clusters of amphibian eggs, gorgeous purple and yellow salamanders, whip-thin newts frozen for seconds before flight to other, as-yet-unturned sanctuaries. Other times I'd discover spiders' nests, dry and safe from the wet world around their stony havens, and the sight of those twitch-legged creatures would make the soles of my feet feel jumpy. I'd put the rocks or logs gently but swiftly back down and continue on my search for comelier wildlife. Now, I think it's time to look at the spiders as well as the salamanders, to see what I can learn from both their worlds.

No comments: