Monday, March 26, 2007

Glints from the sunlight

Last night I looked in on my mom at 11 p.m., then at 1 a.m. and again at 5 a.m.; both times she needed some pain meds. The good news (I guess) is that she hadn't needed them from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m., and that she didn't need them again between 5 and 10 a.m. She only wanted half a piece of toast for breakfast, and two cups of tea. I made her Morning Thunder, extra strong, with milk in it, and I think the caffeine contributed to her having a pretty alert hour and a half before she went back to bed. I managed to give her a foot rub with lavendar-scented coconut oil. For some reason, the cancer is making her skin extremely dry, and foot rubs and back rubs make her feel a lot better. This morning at 5, when I gave her the pain meds and a hug before we went back to sleep, I said "See you when the sun comes up, Mom." It was a way to get her oriented to the time of day, since she's often confused about that. She gave me a peck and a smile and said, "OK. See you in the sunlight." I feel an urge to write down everything she says and save it up. It's like when I was a kid, wading in the streambeds that run though the hills of our town. I'd see micah glinting in the sand beneath the water and want to pick up every shining piece.

No comments: